Sunday, April 15, 2012

Leftover Makeover

Well yesterday was a big day for our little family. Ayden was baptized! You wouldn't believe the amount of time that goes into getting ready for a 15 minute ceremony and a cake and punch reception! Since I knew by the time the day was over, we'd come home and be tired and hungry and I would have no desire to cook. Since we're avoiding the drive thru, I chose a crock pot meal. I threw a pot roast in the crock pot and set it to low so that we'd come home to tender beefy goodness. Well plans changed, as they often do, and we ended up having dinner at my in-laws' house and I came home to a slightly dry but still flavorful beef roast. I threw it in the fridge and figured I'd do something with it later.
For dinner tonight I pondered what to do with the tasty leftover meat I had in the fridge. There was just too much to waste but unfortunately I had yet to go grocery shopping so many of my go-to items were not in the house...no onions, no potatoes...my fridge and pantry is looking pretty bare. So, I scrounged for what we have on hand...I had two poblano peppers that needed to be used, some swiss cheese from the deli that didn't have any lunch meat to go with it, some canned biscuits that were about to expire and a packet of onion soup mix. **Lightbulb!**
Now, mind you, this isn't a stellar recipe that I would put out for company...but for two people who are just trying not to waste food, it's pretty darn good. I started by throwing a pat of butter in a large sauce pan and melting it down. I whisked in about 2 tbps of flour until it was a paste. Then I stirred in gradually some beef stock (if you don't have any on hand, water or veggie stock will work fine). To that I added the packet of onion soup mix. I simmered this while I shredded the meat. After adding the meat to the soup mixture, I went to work cutting the peppers into thin strips. In a sautee pan, I cooked the pepper strips with a little bit of olive oil until they were tender. Meanwhile, bake your biscuits according to package instructions. (Usually you bake for about 15 minutes in a 350 oven). Once the biscuits are done, everything else should be ready to go as well. Split your biscuit and top with the shredded beef (be sure to use a slotted spoon or tongs for this or you will get too much liquid and the biscuit will be soggy), peppers and swiss cheese. If you want your cheese ooey-gooey, pop the whole thing in the toaster oven for a few minutes. Serve along side your favorite veggies or perhaps a fresh tossed salad and you have a pretty easy dinner!

 1 tbsp butter
 2 tbsp flour
 2 cups beef broth
 1 packet onion soup mix
 1-2 lbs leftover shredded beef roast
 2 poblano peppers
 1 tbsp olive oil
 8 slices of swiss cheese
 1 can of biscuits
 salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to form a paste. Add broth and stir until paste is dissolved into broth. Add soup mix packet. Add beef and bring to a simmer.

 2. Preheat oven to 350. Place biscuits onto a baking sheet and cook until done (according to package directions).

 3. Cut poblano into strips. Sautee over medium-high heat until tender.

 4. Once done, split biscuit in half and top with meat, pepper and cheese. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment