Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vegetable Deux



I have a confession to make. I hate to do so but I feel I must be honest with you...I cheated on this challenge. Today, I made green beans...which I'm not at all unfamiliar with. However, I submit to you that I am RE-discovering them as they have been the most loathsome vegetable known to man in my mind for many years. I have tried all kinds of recipes that have only made them just barely palatable...until today. I think I've officially been converted to a *gasp* green bean lover.

First of all, I am of the mindset that ANYTHING is good with bacon. If you don't agree, close this window and never return...you're dead to me. All joking aside, bacon in all its tasty glory will add great flavor to any dish. For this recipe, I chose to throw in some onion as well...bacon and onion are a delicious combination.

What you need:
1/2 lb. green beans, washed and trimmed
3-4 slices of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 of a yellow onion, cut into slices
4 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Once heated, add the bacon and let it cook for about 3 minutes or until just opaque. Add the onion and olive oil and toss to coat (or if you're less adept at tossing in your skillet...stirring it will do just fine).

Let that cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the bacon starts to get crispy. Add the green beans and mix well with bacon and onion. If your beans are looking a little dry, you can drizzle with a bit more olive oil, but use it sparingly since greasy beans aren't very tasty.

My beans took about 8-10 minutes to cook through without being mushy. Your cook time here may vary based on how thick the beans are and how long you left them. When in doubt, just pull one out, let it cool a bit and test it.

Add salt and pepper and mix well...then serve. The bacon and onion for these should be nice and crispy by the time the beans are done, so it adds the perfect crunch and flavor! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment