Thursday, May 31, 2012

Braised Beef Tenderloin

Recently, I purchased a package of pre-seasoned beef tenderloins.  The first one that I cooked, I baked in the oven...and I did so 'blind' as I do not have a meat thermometer (I know...shame on me...).  Needless to say, it was overdone and dry.  Since the package contained FOUR tenderloins, I figured I'd better either get a meat thermometer or find a better way to cook it.  You'd think that I drove my happy ass to the store and bought a meat thermometer.  Nope...of course not...that's too easy!  Instead, I set out to find a better way to cook it without one.

The first recipe I tried was for a braised beef tenderloin.  Most people probably wouldn't think to braise a tenderloin...I certainly hadn't thought about it before now.  Turns out, it's very good.  It cooks the meat evenly without overcooking it...it retains moisture and flavor, too.  Above all...it's crazy easy!

Braised Beef Tenderloin
1 petite beef tenderloin (mine was about a half a pound...the package in the photo contains 2)
4 cups of your broth/stock of choice (I used half beef and half homemade veggie stock...that's what the frozen cubes are)
Vegetables and seasonings of choice for flavor (For this recipe, I used a half cup sliced mushrooms, half a small onion and 2 tbsp minced garlic)


1.  Bring broth, seasonings and vegetables to a simmer in a large saucepan.

2.  Add meat and let simmer for 30 minutes.

3.  After 30 minutes, remove meat to serving dish and slice.  Serve with any veggies that were in the broth and spoon a little broth over the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment