Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garage Sale Finds

Now before you turn your nose up in the air and say, "I don't want to buy someone else's junk," hear me out!  Aaron and I regularly make a Saturday morning of driving around looking at garage sales for things that we can use or fix up and repurpose.  Surprisingly...it's a lot of fun.  Believe it or not, we've furnished our entire living room (minus the couches and the television) from garage sales. I've also gotten quite a few home decor items that are perfectly good and in style...you'd never know that I got them in someone's driveway.  The only difference is...I paid pennies on the dollar!  Jealous?

Anyway...I thought that I'd share some of my finds today with you...just in case you're a skeptic.  

What I got:
4 rectangular collapsible storage totes
1 kids hat from the Gap
1 Boppy pillow with case
1 St Louis Cardinals Teddy Bear 

How much did I spend today?  Bet you wouldn't guess...only $4!  The totes were $1 since they had some minor damage to the seams on the bottom...nothing I can't fix.  The Boppy pillow was $2 and came with the cover (regularly $39.99).  The hat ($12.95 at Gap.com) and bear were $0.50 each.  So...aside from the minor stitches that are needed on the totes and the washing I gave everything else...great stuff for a steal!   I even had some change left over to buy lemonade.

I will actually say one thing about second hand stuffed animals...I wouldn't give one to my child unless it's made to be washable.  The bear I bought will go to my Dad's house where he and his two dogs are big Cardinal's fans!

If you're interested in garage saleing in your area, check out the Yard Sale Treasure Map app on your smart phone.  You can access it on the go or plan your route at home and print it out.  

***If buying used baby/children items, ALWAYS check the recall list first!  When in doubt, opt out!***

No comments:

Post a Comment