Monday, June 11, 2012

Organization I

Have you ever spent an entire day cleaning your house only to sit down at the end of the day and feel like you haven't accomplished anything?  I had one of those days.  I think I figured out what the problem is.  We have entirely too much crap.  Seriously.  It's just out of control.  See, my darling boyfriend is a pack rat.  He has kept some of the strangest things over the years...and he's attached to every single one of them.  Only in the last year or so since we found out we were expecting did he start to release his death-grip on his old crap.  

Before
My goal, to eliminate this problem (and hopefully make our next move a little easier) is to go through each problem area in our house and purge it of all the junk.  We agreed to start moving all said junk to the garage and have a garage sale to hopefully make a little change.  

Anyway...so that's the master plan.  Since I came upon this idea late in the day (but me being me, couldn't just wait until tomorrow to start), I chose to start small.  I have a cabinet on my side of the bedroom where I keep a few books and things.  It was a royal mess.  Just...ugh.  Thinking back to how it was, I'm so ashamed...but I will post pics anyway.  Yeah, I know...it's nasty...don't judge me.  

After emptying it out completely, I divided everything into categories:  reading material, stored decorations, gifts, stockpiled toiletries, keepsakes, stuff that goes somewhere else, and trash.  I ended up throwing a lot away and filling a laundry basket with stuff that didn't belong.  I put my toiletry items in those totes I bought at a garage sale for $1 and organized everything else.  I think it turned out beautifully and didn't cost me but the $1 I spent on those totes!  I also found that arranging books from tallest to shortest and keeping the bindings flush that it looks much cleaner.

After





No comments:

Post a Comment