Monday, June 4, 2012

Company's Coming French Toast

Like most of you, when I have a house guest, I like to roll out the red carpet and make them feel welcome in my home.  I try to make sure their sheets are fresh, extra towels are in the bathroom, and that they always have a full belly.  This weekend, my sister came to visit and I made her this french toast because it's her favorite.  It's looks fancy, tastes amazing, and is surprisingly easy to make.

Pepperidge Farm Swirl Bread
The first secret to making 'fancy french toast' is the bread.  I cheat.  I totally cheat.  I don't go out and get gourmet brioche or anything like that.  I certainly don't make my own...seriously, what do I look like, Betty Crocker?  Plus, I have company over...the last thing I want to do is spend all day in the kitchen!  I get Pepperidge Farm Swirl Bread.  Publix has them on sale once and a while for buy one get one free...so I grab a couple of loaves and stick them in the freezer.  You can thaw two slices at a time (about 5 seconds in the microwave or a few minutes on the counter) or you can thaw the whole loaf (about 20 seconds in the microwave or about 30 minutes on the counter).  It give the french toast amazing flavor AND it looks pretty...and everyone will think you're a genius when they taste it!  

To make the french toast, you need to make the 'batter' which is basically a custard.  You can make it the night before if you like.    I adapted the recipe from one that Alton Brown uses.  His is great and all, but I don't usually have half and half in my house.  

Company's Coming French Toast

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 eggs
2 tbsp honey (warmed in microwave for 20 seconds)
1/4 tsp salt
8 slices of swirl bread
Additional butter for griddle.




1. Preheat griddle to medium high heat and the oven to 350.  Mix the first 5 ingredients together with a whisk until smooth. 

2.  Coat griddle with butter (or use nonstick cooking spray...but the butter tastes better!).

3.  Dip bread in the custard mixture...give it a good dunk on each side.

4.  Lay carefully on the griddle and let cook on each side for 3 minutes.  Remove to the oven rack for 5 minutes.

5.  Serve hot with your choice of toppings.





No comments:

Post a Comment