Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pool Party Finger Food

It's officially summer here in Florida and the heat is ON.  Last weekend, we had some friends over to celebrate Memorial Day and let me tell ya...it was a good time!  Since it was so hot and we'd be hanging poolside all day, I chose to keep the daytime fare pretty simple.


Check out this tasty stuff!

Sunset Sangria
I found this recipe on Pinterest somewhere and altered it so I wouldn't have to make an extra trip to the liquor store to make it more to my liking.  Very simple...put it together the night before and you've got yourself one yummy cocktail for a crowd!

When setting up a self-serve bar, don't forget your garnishes!
1 package strawberries, hulled and sliced
3-4 oranges, sliced
1/2-3/4 cup rum...just depends on how strong you want your drink. (I prefer Cruzan)
2 oz triple sec
1 large bottle of moscato (or other white wine of your choice)

Once you've sliced your fruit, put it in a big pitcher (or in my case, drink dispenser).  Pour all the liquor and wine over top and give it a good stir.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  If you want to get all fancy, serve it with an orange garnish.

Salsa Fresca
Ok so this recipe happened one night when my husband was still just my boyfriend and he wanted salsa.  I didn't have any and I really didn't want to run out to the store...but I also wanted to earn serious brownie points...which obviously worked because *BAM* we're married.  LOL!  I digress....I had the stuff in the house and it turned out pretty damn good.  I've been making this for him ever since!

8-10 plum tomatoes
1 onion
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you'd like it)
Salt to taste

Dice the tomatoes and onion.  Put them in a big bowl.  Drain and rinse the beans and corn well.  Add to bowl.  Chop the cilantro.  You guessed it...throw it in the bowl.  Add your juice, cayenne, and salt.  Mix well.  Serve and enjoy!

Like the sangria, this salsa is great when made the night before.  Now some of you may be scoffing at my use of cayenne pepper instead of a legit pepper all chopped up...there is a method to my madness.  Have you ever eaten something with scattered peppers that are super spicy?  And you're eating and enjoying and then *POW* you take a bit with a chunk of jalapeno and your mouth is on FIRE.  Yeah...I hate that.  So the powdered cayenne is evenly spread throughout...so you know what level of spice to expect in each and every bite.  You're welcome.

Fluffy Fruit Dip
Ok guys, last one...stay with me here...  This is the EASIEST recipe EVER.  Literally two ingredients and I get rave reviews every. single. time.  Two ingredients...try to keep up...

1 cup cool whip
1 cup vanilla yogurt

Add to bowl.  Mix.  Serve with fruit for dipping (strawberries, grapes, pineapple, etc).

That's it.  Told ya it was easy :-)


Well, I hope you're all enjoying some fun in the sun...I know we are!  I'll be posting a new summer cocktail recipe soon...here's a little teaser:
Mmmm....strawberries!





No comments:

Post a Comment