Monday, June 10, 2013

Father's Day Craft

Last year, Ayden and I had a blast making our finger paint art.  This year, the pressure was on to top that!  So...we got Daddy a new puppy!  We adopted (after much discussion) a Great Dane-Shepherd mix puppy and we're so excited!  Meet Kahlua Pi...
Yes, this is how she likes to lay...don't ask.


Ok, so not what you were expecting?  Thought so...  No worries, Ayden and I still whipped up a little something for Father's Day! We made two different things for two very special guys.  A shadow box and hand print coasters.

The shadowbox is super easy.  I purchased a shadow box frame from Michael's, a sheet of peel-and-stick scrapbook paper, photo corners, pre-cut paper circles, some raffia ribbon, glue, acrylic paint and a 3D sticker. Here's the finished product:


The picture really doesn't do the project justice, but I'm having issues finding good light these days (my apologies).  On the top left is Ayden's hand print on the pre-cut circle paper.  Super easy...using a sponge wedge, I coated my little man's hand with acrylic paint, stamped it onto the paper and used a baby wipe to wash of the paint...easy-peasy.  I poked a couple holes in the top, tied a raffia bow, and glued it to the shadow box.  Top right is the 3D sticker, found in the scrapbooking aisle.  On the bottom are two prints from our wedding secured to the box with photo corners.  The cool thing about the photo corners is they're peel and stick, so they were easy to use and also, if the recipient should desire to change the photos, they're easy to remove...but they won't fall off on their own.

Project number two is a set of slate coasters with hand prints on them (yes, I'm in a hand print phase...so sue me).  You can do this project on regular tiles if you prefer...I just liked the look of the slate and they already had felt on the bottom to keep them from scratching the furniture.  

To make these all you need is your base of choice (slate coasters, tiles, whatever), acrylic paint, sponge brush, and modge podge.  Make sure your base is clean and dry.  Coat your little one's hand in paint and stamp it onto the coaster.  Let dry completely.  Using sponge brush, apply a coat of modge podge.  Allow to dry completely.  Add a second coat of modge podge if desired.  

Now I will say this about my coasters...if I had it to do over again, I'd go with white paint...or pretty much any color besides 'bloody hand print red.'  Maybe I should save them for a Halloween gift??  But other than that, they turned out pretty good and were super easy.  And cheap...did I mention this project was less than $10?

Well friends, happy crafting and to all the dads out there, Happy Father's Day!  


No comments:

Post a Comment